Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Regarding Stools that don't Swivel.

Today a maintenance worker at SYIS reminded me of my father. It was something random, something small, but I immediately laughed when it happened because my first thought was, "DAD WOULD DO THAT!"

I am struggling with a breathing problem that requires me to take deep breaths. Weird, I know, but the longer I stand up straight the more noticeable/worse the problem becomes, and so I requested a stool for my room. The head of the maintenance staff replied by giving me a black metal swivel bar-chair, however half of the ball-bearings were broken and the feet were somehow uneven, resulting in a extremely loud and wobbly piece of furniture that was more of an annoyance than my breathing problem. So I requested a new one. One that didn't swivel.

Today I got my wish. One of the maintenance staff, a small older guy that doesn't speak a bit of english, handed me the exact same chair. Which frustrated me. Then I sat in the chair.

No swivel.

I was puzzled.

I flipped the chair over, and I realized what he had done was drilled holes in the four legs and bolted them to the seat of the chair.

He grinned at me, and said in broken English, "No turn."

That's my dad. 98% of the world's population would have gone out and bought another stool. These two guys just make do with what they have.

Artists in their own right.

No comments: