Friday, August 7, 2009

Regarding Singing Taxi Drivers

Tonight was one of those nights that you look back on and can appreciate the value of life and friends. It began with a trip to Strollers. Strollers is a bar/restraunt that is almost worth traveling all the way to Shenyang, China just to visit. It has a German/Russian/Rocker with the random motiff that Applebees, Crocker Barrel, and the like only dream of achieving. Along with this it possesses great beverages and a huge variety of western food that actually tastes like western food. The last aspect of Strollers contributes to its rarity and value as much as the decor.

Our group of friends then traveled by taxi to the nearby Starbucks to complete our evening of western culture, where I was able to indulge in a mocha cappuccino while the wife had some sort of frappuchino over quality conversation among friends of common interest and values.

As we were driving home, a friend commented on how he was falling in love with China. I looked out the window to the busy streets lit by the skyscrapers, neon lights, and oversized tv's displaying massive advertisements. I thought about the people, the evening, the culture, the kids I've been able to teach this week. As I was thinking, 'I believe I can Fly' began playing in the background of our taxi's speakers. Emily laughed at the randomness of it, and I began to tease her by informing the driver in my broken Chinese that this was my wife's favorite song. He immediately burst into singing the main chorus line, taking both hands completely off the steering wheel, and flapping his hands as he grinned at me.

And the first thought that went through my mind: I love life.

No comments: